Monday, September 12, 2011

Tour du Callahan

Above, I am pictured dipping the rear wheel of my bike into the Pacific Ocean off of Victoria, British Columbia in the Vancouver Islands. Let me explain the reason for this with the short version of a long story.

For many years I wanted to ride my bike across Canada, to see our country in slow motion, and get an idea of what it was/ is. Before the summer I was working from home, painting backgrounds for Toonzone Canada, and this allowed me the time to prepare for a trip such as this.

Four years ago, when I was still in Animation College, a neighbor of mine passed away, and I inherited a book from her called Macphersons Canada. Duncan Macpherson was an illustrator for the Toronto Star, and this book was a collection of drawings, sketches, paintings and thoughts that he had collected while travelling across the country. I was enthralled with the idea, and all of Macphersons artwork and opinions.


Dipping my wheel in the Atlantic Ocean, Downtown St. Johns Newfoundland.

Over the past summer I have spent much time collecting reference photos, anecdotes and forming my own idea of what Canada is. Now the excitement of inspiration is over, it is time to get to work.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

So apologies for my long, unexplained absence. Its time to put pencil to paper, Stylus to Cintiq.

No comments:

Post a Comment